AstraZeneca UK Marketing Company is responsible for all marketing operations for AstraZeneca in the UK.
The business employs just over 700 UK staff of which around 650 drive cars for work, either company or privately-owned. AstraZeneca has worked with DriveTech since 2013 on its Drive Success programme which addresses AstraZeneca’s largest area of risk – employees who drive for work. It is a core part of AstraZeneca’s HR and employee engagement strategy.
“DriveTech has helped us reduce the number of crashes and injuries involving staff who drive for work (Collisions Per Million Kilometres). We now have a robust, manageable system for monitoring and reporting on driver assessment and driver training.
As a result, it has helped us retain good staff as we are passionate about keeping our staff safe and showing we care about their well-being”.
Lesley Gaunt, UKMC Drive Success Coordinator, AstraZeneca
AstraZeneca UKMC is genuinely passionate about health and safety and its duty of care to employees. Its field force drives around half a million miles per month, both company and grey fleet. The vast majority of vehicles are leased company cars but there is a sizeable grey fleet that is actively managed to the same standard as the company cars. The company wants to ensure all its drivers, permanent and contingent staff, are legal, have been assessed and offered training that is directly linked to their specific needs.
The Drive Success programme, based on DriveTech’s FleetRiskManager portal, takes a holistic approach to road safety. It includes:
- Drive Success programme is a core part of new staff induction programme
- Licence validation to ensure all drivers are legal
- Online driver assessment to identify individual driver risk exposure
- On-road training for high risk exposure drivers
- One email identifies all tasks for a driver
- Auditable opt-out for non-driving staff
- Management of the driving community; starters, leavers, movers
- Management information to assess compliance and exception reporting
- % of blameworthy claims per annum has reduced since programme started
- Collisions per annum is now half the global target of 5 collisions per million km driven
- Number of injuries per annum has reduced
- Programme compliance is now 89% and growing
- Staff retention supported by demonstrating the company cares
- All driver information is available through one portal
- Driver statistics and insight drives training requirements
- Communication is consistent, minimal and focuse