We like to keep things private
When it comes to your privacy we never compromise. We will always be clear about why we need the details we ask for, and ensure your personal information is kept as secure as possible. How we do this is explained below.
Last updated: July 2017
- General provisions applicable to all DriveTech business divisions
- Driver CPC
- Links to other sites
- Amendment and retention of information
- Subject access requests
DriveTech is committed to protecting your privacy. We comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 and maintain consistently high levels of best practice in our processing of personal and/ or sensitive personal data.
DriveTech will use your information as set out below. If you have provided information to more than one of DriveTech’s business divisions, the information you have provided to each division will be used as set out below.
General Provisions Applicable to All DriveTech Business Divisions
- We do not sell, trade or rent your personal information to others.
- Our own security procedures mean that we may occasionally have to request proof of Identity or check your presence on the electoral roll.
- In the event of telephone calls from you, we also reserve the right to ask security questions (which we in our sole discretion deem appropriate) in order to satisfy ourselves that you are who you say you are.
- A customer may properly give his or her spouse or partner’s consent over the telephone or via the website provided he confirms that he has permission to do so. If consent is written, the spouse must independently endorse such consent.
- We store all the information you provide us, including information provided via forms you complete on our website and information which we may collect from your browsing. Our server, in common with nearly all web servers, logs each page that is downloaded from the site.
- Examples of how we may personalise information might include when we will be delivering certain products in your area.
- Third parties may deliver some of our products to you or provide all or part of the service requested by you (including without limitation provision of driver training, both theory and practical). In these instances, whilst the information you provide will be disclosed to them, it will only be used for the provision and administration of the service provided and to maintain management information for business analysis.
- If we provide information to a third party (either a provider of a product or service or an external data processing agency such as a mailing/ printing house) we will exercise the strictest control over the third party contractually, requiring it and any of its agents and/ or suppliers to:
- Maintain the security and confidentiality of the information and restrict access to those of its own employees.
- Use the data for the agreed purpose only and prevent it being used for any other purpose by any other party.
- Refrain from communicating with you other than concerning the product in question.
- Return the data to us at the conclusion of any contract term and destroy or delete any copies made of all or any part of the information unless copies are needed to be kept to comply with regulations.
- In addition, we will restrict the information disclosed to the absolute minimum necessary, for example, to provide the product or service.
- We ask for your home, mobile telephone number and email address to enable us to contact you in relation to an enquiry you have made, where permitted to contact you about relevant products or services, to contact you about relevant products or services, to contact you if there is a problem with your order or there is another genuine reason for doing so.
- As previously mentioned, DriveTech will not sell, trade or rent your information and we will never disclose information about you to third parties, except to fulfil your specific orders for a product or information in the event that third parties deliver the relevant service. Other circumstances where we are operationally or contractually obliged to pass on your information may be where third parties administer part or all of the service, for pricing purposes, testing and to maintain management information for business analysis.
- To help us prevent fraud and money laundering your details may be submitted to fraud prevention agencies and other organisations where your records may be searched.
- Subsequent to your purchase of a product or service, we may enter into an arrangement for that service to be provided by a new third party. If this happens, the terms and conditions of your new contract with us will provide that you consent to the transfer and processing of personal and/ or sensitive personal data to the new provider, subject to the requirement of the Data Protection Act 1998 and associated regulations.
This division provides educational services which may be offered by the police as an alternative to prosecution for certain driving offences. Where you attend such a course, DriveTech will use any information you provide to it as follows:
- DriveTech will only use your information obtained (whether from the police and/ or from you) in connection with the provision of DriverAware courses for the provision and associated administration of such courses (including without limitation checking your eligibility for the requested course against the DORS database maintained by UKRoad Offender Education Ltd (UKROEd) (CRN 08773977) who operate the scheme on behalf of the Road Safety Trust (CRN 08837451). DriveTech will not use any such information for marketing and/ or promotional purposes.
- DriveTech may also pass to the police force that invited you to attend one of our DriverAware courses any information provided to us and/ or collected by us in relation to such course(s). The police force may add this information to the police national databases (including without limitation the DORS database maintained by UKROed and may also use such information for policing purposes.
- DriveTech may hold identical information to that provided by you in connection with DriverAware courses which it has collected through other means. Nothing in paragraph ‘a’ shall restrict and/ or be deemed to restrict DriveTech’s ability or that of any member of the Group to use such information for any purposes which you have previously consented to, which may include marketing and/ or promotional purposes.
- DriveTech may pass any information you provide to it in relation to DriverAware courses to members of the Group in relation to the provision of and/ or administration of such courses only.
This division provides risk management, driver profiling and driver training services to fleet operators.
- Commonly an employer will provide personal information about its drivers to DriveTech in the course of DriveTech providing FleetSafe services.
- DriveTech will not use any information provided to it under paragraph ‘a’ for any purpose other than providing the FleetSafe services which it has been contracted to provide and associated administration. DriveTech will not use any such information for marketing and/ or promotional purposes.
- DriveTech may hold identical information to that provided by your employer in connection with FleetSafe courses which it has collected through other means. Nothing in paragraph ‘b’ shall restrict and/ or be deemed to restrict DriveTech’ s ability or that of any member of the Group to use such information for any purposes which you have previously consented to, which may include marketing and/ or promotional purposes.
- DriveTech may pass any information you provide to it in relation to FleetSafe courses to members of the Group in relation to the provision and/ or administration of such courses only.
- Driving Licence Validation Checks: DriveTech may also pass to your employer and the third parties (if any) detailed on your signed licence check data protection mandate any information to us and/ or collected by us in relation to such check(s), which may include details of driving offences that we obtain from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and/ or the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA), but which excludes your medical history. Please ask your employer for details of how they and any such third parties will use such information.
- Under the agreement between DriveTech, IDS and your employer and also the contract between DriveTech, IDS and the DVLA/ the DVA, the data cannot be used for any other purpose than reporting on driving licence related matters. The contract terms also mean that no information can be sold to any other parties. In effect, the information cannot be misused or abused. Were we to misuse or abuse the terms of our contracts, we would risk losing our Customers and our supplier(s) (DVLA/ DVA). Any such breach of trust would lead to DriveTech and IDS’ Data Protection Licence being revoked – we would be unable to trade.
This division provides training for drivers of light good, heavy goods vehicles, buses and coaches to comply with the Driver CPC regulations.
- DriveTech may pass to the DVLA and/ or the DVA and the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) any information provided to us and/ or collected by us in relation to Driver CPC courses that you attend. DVLA and/ or the DVA and the DSA may add this information to their respective databases and may also use such information for monitoring compliance with applicable law and regulations.
- DriveTech will use your information obtained in connection with the provision of Driver CPC services for the provision of such services and for the administration thereof by letter, SMS. Telephone and/ or email.
- DriveTech may pass any information you provide to it in relation to Driver CPC courses to members of the Group in relation to the provision and/ or administration of such courses only.
- Purchased by your employer: Where your Driver CPC has been purchased for you by your employer, DriveTech will not use any such information for marketing and/ or promotional purposes.
- DriveTech may hold identical information to that provided to it by you and/ or your employer in connection with Driver CPC courses which it has collected through other means. Nothing on paragraph ‘i’ above shall restrict and/ or deemed to restrict DriveTech’s ability or that of any member of the group to use such information for any purpose which you have previously consented to, which may include marketing and/ or promotional purposes.
- Purchased by you: Where you have purchased your Driver CPC course, when you first make an enquiry of or buy Driver CPC from DriveTech, you consent to receiving marketing about other products, services and special offers from DriveTech and the members of the Group by post, telephone, mobile telephone, email and SMS. Your details will be placed on the Group marketing list and a ‘questionnaire’ will be sent to you. This gives a list of all the products and services of the Group and gives the option of choosing which products and services you would or would not like to receive information about. You can also choose not to receive any marketing from us. Once you have chosen what you would like to receive we ask you to return the completed form back to us. The marketing selections will be administered where applicable.
- Each time you receive electronic marketing information or a message, you have the option to decline to receive further marketing information from us. This is known as an ‘opt-out’. If you wish to exercise the ‘opt-out’, please write to the AA Data Protection Officer, The AA, Fanum House, Basing View, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 4EA. If you have more than one address or email address, please make sure to notify any changes to your preferences for each address or email address you have registered with us.
From offers and promotions to sound and video, the aim of this website is to be interesting, helpful and informative. We’re keen to find out what you like and dislike – your feedback plays a key role in helping us improve this site. We use many techniques to follow your use of the site and provide you with a customised experience. The main and best-known technique is by using what are known as 'cookies'.
Cookies are small data files that a website will put on your device, which in turn sends information back to the website. They cannot affect your device, but they do collect information that can be used to enhance the site.
Rest assured that the cookies we use do not store personal details, such as payment card numbers.
Links to Other Sites
We often link off to other sites to help provide you with extra information or services. For example, to make it easy for you to share information with your family and friends, we provide links to Twitter, Facebook and other popular social media or book-marking sites.
Amendment and retention of information
Please advise us in writing as to any changes in your circumstances. Obviously, it is preferable for us to retain up to date information. We will amend details as required. We are, however, obliged and permitted by law and regulation to retain certain types of data for a minimum period of time. The minimum period of time tends to be for six years but can be longer if the statute or regulation requires.
Subject access requests
You have a statutory right of access to accessible personal and/or sensitive personal data that we hold about you. In order to exercise this right, your application must be in writing for security reasons. Please write to the AA Data Protection Officer at: The AA, Fanum House, Basing View, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 4EA.
Please refer to the information you wish to see giving dates if possible, and enclose your cheque for £10 payable to Automobile Association Developments Limited. We will not administer Subject Access Requests by a third party unless accompanied by a written authority of the individual who is the subject of the request.